We’re trying promote better care of the Elderly in MMUH ED for all health care staff.
Improved education is key to delivering better care.
The following programmes are available in the MMUH:
- National HSE 4 Hour Acute Dementia program- Offered to all clinical staff- dates for remainder of 2017 14th September and 13th This programme runs from 09.00-13.00hrs in the CNE.
- National HSE 2 day Enabling, Enhancing Dementia Care Program- Offered to all clinical staff- This programme will run on the 16th October and 17th November from 09.00-17.00hrs in the CNE. Participants must attend both days.
- MMUH Care of the Older Person Level 8: 10 Credits 3.5 theory days- Offered to Nurses only at present. This programme is run over 12 weeks and involves 3.5 theoretical days in the CNE. This programme is accredited by UCD.
- Two other Nursing CPD programmes offer education sessions specific to the caring for the older person. They are the Emergency nursing CPD programme and Nursing the Acute medical patient CPD programme. These sessions are approx. an hour in duration.
- The Level 5 Health Service Skills Award for healthcare assistants has a three day module on Care of the Older Person. This is QQI Level 5 accredited.
www.HSELand.ie has a short e-learning programme available to all staff titled Recognition of memory problems- Offered to all clinical staff
Dublin City University Elevator Programme also offer Dementia specific programme which are blended and last approx. 12 weeks with some face to face theoretical instruction.
- Dementia and Everyday Ethics (12 weeks and 2 days theoretical instruction plus assessments) next intake Feb 2018
- Dementia coping skill for families and carers online accessible at dementiaelevator.ie/psychsocial -skills-training/#foundation
- Dementia Champions (12 weeks blended learning with 6 half days contact time with assessments) next intake Sept 2017
- Therapeutic responses to the person with dementia (12 weeks blended learning with 4 days contact time plus assessments) commences Sept 2017
- Everyday Ethical Care Decisions. Next intake Feb 2018
Please consider getting partaking in these courses.
If you’ve further interest in GEM, talk to the GEM team!